Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The last few months

It has been almost 5 months since I've posted anything. I have good reasons - having a baby and trying to keep my head above water as I learn to parent two small children. Thankfully, the Lord is gracious and forgiving and showers me with His unconditional love and provision to get me through this new season. I feel like I have so much to write and to tell you all the things that are going on in our family of four. Tonight, I'll try to recap a few and expand on them more later.

*Malayna is almost 5 months old. She is a gem. I absolutely adore her sweet, charming personality. She lights up the room with her beautiful smile and bright blue eyes. She coos and laughs and loves snuggling. She is pensive, "talkative", and calm-natured all at the same time. I couldn't have imagined a happier baby.
*Isaac keeps me on my toes, that's for sure. He is sweet and defiant all at the same time if that makes any sense. He is my sweet boy who needs lots of guidance right now, just as any almost four-year-old does. He still melts my heart and is growing up too quickly.
* We begin homeschooling September 1st. I've researched and prayed about what we should do for preschool. I want to challenge Isaac yet not push him to do things he is not ready to do. We'll go at his pace. I want this year to be full of excitement for learning and character development. We need to work on specific things to help with his attitude and heart. We're doing Sonlight this year with some additional math and reading elements.
* Isaac will also go to preschool for a couple hours three days a week. I'm excited for him to have fun making new friends, submitting to other authority figures, learning how to work out problems effectively, and many other things in a play-based environment. His teacher is solid in her walk with the Lord. This is a good fit for our family this year.
* Malayna has some dairy and caffeine sensitivities. I've tried lots of new recipes, and surprisingly, I've liked each of them. I will be one happy lady, though, when I can have milk!
* I had a pretty nasty infection from nursing, which led to a pretty nasty abscess that needed drained. Thankfully, I healed nicely and feel much better. Those babies get us one way or another!
* Matt has had some important work to do, so the kids and I have spent a lot of time at my mom's house. It's nice to relax and watch Food Network whenever I want.... the lazy days of summer!
* I got to see my niece and nephew this past week. Ian is 15 and Hannah is almost 10. They are both wonderful kids - wish I could see them more often.
* We bought a 2005 CRV. We had been looking for a while and knew we wanted a smaller SUV or minivan. We found one for a great price with great mileage.
* We're Myrtle Beach bound soon. Matt's grandma and some of his aunts/uncles live there. We're looking forward to rounding out the last of our summer with family.
* Our house church is about to multiply. I have mixed feelings about it. We love everyone and will be sad to not see them every other week.
* Right now Malayna is crying. She is supposed to be asleep but wants her mama to hold her. Poor baby.
* Matt is taking me on a date tomorrow. We're going to the place where he proposed to me. It's a quaint little town with a romantic feel to it. Makes me smile just thinking of it.
* Last night I had a dinner date and evening out with some dear mama friends. Love me some Japanese steakhouse food and time away from the kiddos. It does a mama good to have a break.
* Isaac said the sweetest thing this evening. I was telling him all the people I love. At the end of our conversation I said, "I love all of our family." He then says, "Mom, God is part of our family." We have been stressing that God loves him more than anyone. He put me in my place in a kind way, making sure I knew that God is most important. Love him to pieces.
* My aunt and uncle just celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. Can you believe it? 60 years of marriage! As I was leaving their celebration, my aunt told me to do the same thing. They've lived life together through the many ups and downs, and she wants the "young" couples in our family to live that way as well. A wise woman she is.
* I also go to spend time with two of my best friends from high school, Mandy and Suzanne. Mandy has three adorable 15-month-old triplets. Her life is lovely chaos and she handles it with such grace and ease. Suzanne has two young ones and is also raising her 9-month-old cutie patootie niece. She's also a wonderful photographer. She blessed me with some mommy/daughter pics for a gift. I can't wait to see them!

Well friends, that's it for tonight - just normal life around here the past few months, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I will be back soon, before five more months pass by!

No comments: