Monday, August 29, 2011

favorites

We just returned from Myrtle Beach, and while I'm a saddened that I won't see the ocean every day, I'm happy to get back to our routine at home. We're in operation preparation homeschool mode. I need to get a few more things and order a teaching resource online. I'm still hoping to start September 1st. For now I want to share some of my favorite dairy-free recipes with you that we've recently tried. Our dinners are just not the same with good ol' dairy, but we're making it work. These recipes are tried and true. If you have a dairy sensitivity, give these a shot. Most are also gluten free.

* Lemon curd bars - The original recipe is delicious and easy. I also made just the bars and spiced them up a bit by adding about 3/4 cup of shredded coconut and a little more honey. I make a double batch each time. Matt and I gobbled up most of them while in Myrtle Beach.
* Creamy avocado pasta - This is from a vegan website, so she uses no animal products. It's a great resource if you don't eat any animal products. Her pictures are nice, too! The primary flavor is avocado, so if you're not a fan, skip this one.
* Orange-apricot porkchops - Incredibly easy crockpot meal full of lots of flavor. We serve it over rice. It would make for a lovely fall meal. (I will skip the cloves next time, though.)
* Homemade chewy granola bars - This snack is quick to whip up in a flash. We all like these bars. Be careful not to overdo the peanut butter or the mixture will be too moist and gooey. Measure carefully!
* Tomato basil pasta - Out of all things, the base of this recipe is made from cashews. Sounds strange, but trust me, it's a winner. The cashews give it the creaminess it needs while still being dairy-free.
* Cashew chicken - An easy recipe if you have a hankering for Asian.
* Homemade Larabars - Simple and wholesome, Larabars are one of my favorite snacks. However, they are pricey little guys. My favorite flavor is the cashew cookie. It's simply made of cashews and dates and easy and frugal to make. All you need to do is grind up 1 cup of cashews in the food processor. Take it out and put into a separate bowl. Then grind up 8 oz of dates and add them to the bowl of cashews. The mixture will be sticky. Form into a ball and press down flat with a rolling pin. Roll out onto parchment or wax paper and cut into strips. I actually like these better than the store-bought version.
Chocolate-raspberry coconut flour cupcakes - I made these for house church one night, and everyone who ate them enjoyed them. The honey frosting is tasty but a bit sweet. Next time I make these I will cut back on the honey. I think I might make some for Isaac's birthday.

So, if you or someone you know has food allergy/issues, try some of these recipes. I hope they can be of use to someone out there!

1 comment:

Rachel May said...

Oh you guys were so close to us!! We have yet to make it to Mrytle Beach but look forward to Spring/Summer '12. Also thank you for sharing some wonderful looking recipes!!! We do not have any food allergies in the home but I LOVE coconut, cashews, and avocado. Look forward to reading your homeschooling adventures. I am start back up with Tot School next week with Gabriel.